Diablo Deep Dive Panel Recap
Table of Contents
Diablo II: Resurrected Deep Dive Panel
Prepare to relive the epic adventure that defined the action RPG genre for decades. Today at BlizzConline, Blizzard Entertainment announced Diablo II: Resurrected, a meticulous remaster of the timeless classic Diablo II and its expansion Diablo II: Lord of Destruction.
Remastered from the ground up by the talented team(s) at Vicarious Visions and Blizzard Entertainment, Diablo II: Resurrected will reintroduce the awe of the unforgettable world of Sanctuary and its demonic hosts to a new generation of gamers while allowing longtime fans to revisit the beloved masterpiece with improved audio/visual fidelity and performance.
We surprised MrLlamaSC, renowned Diablo II speedrunner and former StarCraft II professional caster, with the reveal trailer a little while back. His reaction galvanizes our excitement to share more with you today. Tune into the Diablo II: Resurrected Deep Dive below, as MrLlamaSC chats with Andre Abrahamiam (Game Designer, Blizzard), Rob Gallerani (Principal Designer, Vicarious Visions), and Chris Amaral (Lead Artist, Blizzard) on their journey to honor this fan favorite’s legacy.
Join us around the campfire as our panel host and developers explore the following questions:
- Protecting the Authenticity: How did developers improve the visuals and audio of Diablo II while preserving the nostalgic feel of the original?
- Forming a Party: How has the relationship with Vicarious Visions—now part of the Blizzard family— helped mold a greater Diablo II experience in the upcoming remaster?
- Evolving the Classic: How did the developers level-up and remodel the characters, items, icons, and other visual elements of Diablo II?
- Respecting the History: What insights or materials did the artists and designers reference to inspire development when recreating aspects of the setting?
- Remembering the Legacy: What is the Legacy Toggle feature?
- Same but Different: What are the quality-of-life and optimization changes that will be implemented into Diablo II: Resurrected?
- ...and much more!
Evil Has Survived. To relive Diablo II unlike ever before, opt in for the chance to be in the upcoming Diablo II: Resurrected PC Technical Alpha and possible future tests.
We encourage you to Bookmark this blog, as Executive Producer Rod Fergusson and Principal Designer Rob Gallerani will be addressing burning questions from the community later today! Come back tomorrow to see their answers and tune in to Twitch.tv/Blizzard to learn about more exciting things coming to Diablo fans!
Diablo II: Resurrected has been a labor of love, developed by passionate fans that experienced this world of Sanctuary more than 20 years ago. We hope the community is as excited as we are for what is to come because we cannot wait to share more!
Diablo IV Deep Dive Panel
Back in 2019, we were ecstatic to announce the fourth incarnation of the beloved Diablo series—Diablo IV. Today, as we celebrate the past of this beloved franchise with the announcement of Diablo II: Resurrected, we must also look ahead and seek what fate has in store for us in the next chapter of the Eternal Conflict!
Players will return to the harsh, dark, and unforgiving world of Sanctuary. Set many years after the events of Diablo III, Diablo IV will plunge adventurers into the fray with endless demons to slaughter. A great evil has resurged, and her return will throw the realm into hopeless calamity. This staggering reimagining in Diablo IV combines all the hallmarks of the iconic ARPG series—fierce combat, deep customization through talents, skill points, runes, and the hunt for Legendary loot.
As today marks the first day of BlizzConline on Blizzard's 30th anniversary, there isn't a more appropriate time to shine a light on a mysterious figure who has been lurking in the shadows. In case you missed the BlizzConline Opening Ceremony, we're proud to welcome the latest hero to join the party at the campfire—the Rogue.
The Barbarian embodies brute strength, the Sorceress arcane knowledge, the Druid ferocious savagery, and now the Rogue has arrived to lay waste to the forces of Hell through unparalleled versatility. Rogue players can choose from a variety of ways to stab, shoot, and trap their enemies and can enhance their combat through poisons, shadow magic, and specialized techniques. This class is not just for fans of the original Rogue—Assassin and Demon Hunter players will notice some of our favorite tricks of the trade have come back as well.
Now we invite you to join Luis Barriga (Game Director), John Mueller (Art Director), Joe Piepiora (Lead Systems Designer), and Careena Kingdom (Lead Animator) in the Diablo IV Deep Dive below, as they share new details on in-game systems, including:
- The Rogue: Who is this shadowy character? What is the class specialization? How does the Rogue’s incredible mobility impact gameplay?
- Mounts: How will mounts be the new vessel of exploring Sanctuary? How will mounts be acquired? What will mount customization entail? How does mount combat feel?
- Camps: What are camps and how do they function in the open world? Why should camps be claimed by adventurers? How does the state of camps affect the world around the players?
- Vertical Movement: How will more movement options unlock more navigation of the world?
- Player vs. Player: How does PvP work in Diablo IV? What are the Shards of Hatred? What can the purified currency purchase?
- ...and much more!
We encourage you to Bookmark this blog, as Executive Producer Rod Fergusson and Game Director Luis Barriga will be addressing burning questions from the community later today! Come back tomorrow to see their answers and tune in to Twitch.tv/Blizzard to learn about more exciting things coming to Diablo fans!
For this storied franchise, Diablo IV marks a return to darkness. We can’t wait to share more developments with you on the progress of this game over the coming months. To learn more, keep an eye on the official Diablo IV website for Quarterly Updates and follow us on Twitter!
Diablo Immortal: Technical Alpha and Beyond
In 2018 an all-new mobile massively multiplayer online action–role-playing game for iOS and Android was revealed, Diablo Immortal. Back then and still to this day, we are thrilled to be bringing the world of Sanctuary to players fingertips, giving them access to a deep and authentic Diablo experience wherever they go. Diablo Immortal will be bridging the gap between Diablo II and Diablo III, plunging adventurers against ancient evils, and immersing them in untold stories. Whether you’re new to Diablo or a veteran of the eternal struggle against the demons of Hell, you should expect classically fast-paced, visceral gameplay from Diablo Immortal.
Today we’d like to take this prime opportunity to explore new details, learnings, and impressions from the Diablo Immortal Technical Alpha. We invite you to join Bluddshed, one of Diablo III’s most prominent creators and host of the Bludd Heart Podcast, as he discusses his experiences and asks questions with Wyatt Cheng (Lead Designer) and Caleb Arseneaux (Lead Game Producer). Topics of this Deep Dive Panel discussion include:
- First Impressions: The panelists favorite classes and impressions on Diablo Immortal.
- Skill Systems: Explore the developers approach designing skills and how they balanced the new vs. the old with that approach.
- Variety of Progression: Beyond Greater Rifts, learn more about the variety of activities what Diablo Immortal offers adventurers.
- Variety of Zone Events: Player vs. Player in Bilefen and other Zone Events explained.
- Paragon System: Exploring the Paragon System and how it captures the best elements of the past while providing a fresh experience for the future. An in-depth discussion on the design philosophy around Paragon System Trees.
- Exploring the Past: The Caverns of Time and how that World of Warcraft experience inspired storytelling in Diablo Immortal.
- Westmarch: The implementation of this capital city and the importance of a immersive player hub.
- The Social Element: The developers explain why they want partying up with players in Diablo Immortal to be encouraged and rewarded.
- Observing the Community: Wyatt and Caleb share the main feedback and takeaways they gathered from the Diablo Immortal Technical Alpha.
- ...and much more!
Are you itching to journey to Hell? Pre-register here for a chance to participate in upcoming Diablo Immortal testing milestones!
Finally, we encourage you to Bookmark this blog, as Executive Producer Rod Fergusson and Lead Designer Wyatt Cheng will be addressing questions from the community later today! Come back tomorrow to see their answers and tune in to Twitch.tv/Blizzard to learn more exciting things coming to Diablo fans!
While we’re sad to miss seeing Diablo fans in person at BlizzCon this year, we hope the community is as excited as we are for what is to come because we cannot wait to share more! To learn more, keep an eye on the official Diablo Immortal website and follow us on Twitter!
Thank you so much for your support, and please be safe.